Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Upsets I wanted to pick

So I did pick a few upsets in the tournament, but here's a few of the upsets I wanted to pick -- but I didn't quite have the guts to pull the trigger.

Oral Roberts (16) over Memphis (1) - No 16 seed has ever beaten a 1 seed, but if it's ever gonna happen, this is the time. Oral Roberts is a really good 16 seed and Memphis is really young, has no tournament experience, and has played a really soft schedule for the last 3 months.

LSU (4) over Duke (1) - I really wanted to pick Duke to lose in the Sweet Sixteen.

Seton Hall (10) over Tennessee (2) - Every year a double-digit seed makes the Sweet Sixteen, and I don't think Tennessee is that good. They're overseeded and the SEC was really mediocre this season. But I couldn't quite pick Pearl to get upset in the second round.

Wisconsin-Milwaukee (11) over Oklahoma (6) - Oklahoma made a living out of beating some average Big12 teams by one point. On the one hand, it's impressive to win so many close games. On the other hand, it's more impressive when you're not the favorite in all those games.

On the bright side, I wanted to make sure I didn't pick Duke or Connecticut to win the national title. I succeeded on that one.

No comments: